Добро пожаловать в Мир Майкла Джексона, Гость!    Регистрация  Или выполнить  Вход       

BAD 25

Re: Рецензии и статьи о BAD25

#31  Сообщение Admin » 23 окт 2012, 16:56

(21-10-2012) The movie website Rope of Silicone published a very positive review on Spike Lee's documentary BAD25 by Brad Brevet:

Where the lackluster concert documentary This is It looked to capitalize on Michael Jackson's death, Spike Lee's Bad 25 explores the life and creative genius of Michael Jackson using the making of his 1987 album "Bad" as the narrative device on this, the album's 25th anniversary. Dedicating time to all eleven songs on the record-breaking album, Lee uses the making of each song and subsequent music video to shape a narrative that moves effortlessly despite its two hour and 11 minute running time. In short, it's excellent.

I should mention first, I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson. The news of his death was entirely surreal to me, hitting me harder a day later than it did the day it was first reported. Our world has plenty of tragic figures and, to me, the tragedy that befell Michael Jackson is rather gut-wrenching. This doc makes it even a little harder to deal with as virtually all of the people Lee sits down to talk to are moved to tears the moment he asks where they were when they heard Michael died.

The genius of this documentary, however, isn't the focus on Michael's death. It's the focus on his life and his creativity and the relationships he had with his collaborators, each and every one of them genuinely exhibiting a great care and compassion for the man that died over three years ago.

Using this narrative we see the likes of Martin Scorsese watching the short film he directed for "Bad". We get a laugh as Lee asks him if he had any idea Michael would be doing so much crotch grabbing, Scorsese laughs, "No, and look, he's doing it through the whole thing!" We're witness to the development of his dance moves, the way the production stopped the first time Michael sings on the set of the video for "The Way You Make Me Feel", the reason Tatiana Thumbtzen was chosen for that video and why they don't kiss at the end.

I was enthralled listening to Bruce Swedien discussing his work as Michael's audio engineer. Lee talks with Quincy Jones, Joe Pytka (director of "Dirty Diana" and The Way You Make Me Feel"), Steve Stevens on being called in to play guitar on "Dirty Diana", Ruben Blades on working with Michael to translate "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" into Spanish, Greg Phillinganes (synthesizer) and Matt Forger's genuine sincerity discussing his work with Michael at his Hayvenhurst home. Then, of course, there are the entertainment names such as Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Sheryl Crow (who toured with Michael doing the "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" duet), Cee Lo Green, Chris Brown and Mariah Carey.

All of these conversations lead to the final moments when Lee asks each and every person where they were when Michael died and it's as if the whole thing stops. The smiles they were sharing turn to tears. One of them says his response on hearing the news was, "Don't call me and tell me that because it's not true!" You feel it in your bones, the love that was shared between these creative artists that's on display. It's the first time I can remember seeing people genuinely speaking about Michael Jackson and actually believing them.

The group of today's artists I listed above may have been influenced by Michael, but the majority of the people Lee talks to are those that worked with him and were called out of bed at four in the morning to begin recording a song once inspiration hit. All of this leads to the final song discussed, "Man in the Mirror."

Siedah Garrett, who sang the duet with Michael on the album version of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", co-wrote "Man in the Mirror" with Glen Ballard and she explains the process of coming up with the song and dropping it off for Quincy Jones. We're introduced to the steps the song went through from there, how Michael shaped it and brought in a choir. Every emotion felt, from those interviewed while they discussed Michael's death, comes back to the surface as Lee ends the documentary with Michael's performance of "Man in the Mirror" at Wembley Stadium on July 16, 1988 to a crowd of 72,000 fans. It's amazing.

I know opinions of Michael Jackson change from person to person, many of it shaped by what we've heard in the media, but when it comes to this documentary and my personal like of the man and what he brought to the world of music, this documentary delivers.
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Admin поблагодарили (всего 3):
Lina (24 окт 2012, 10:20) • TAIS (23 окт 2012, 20:56) • Trueamore (23 окт 2012, 19:15)
Рейтинг: 27.27%

Admin
Автор темы
Благодарил (а): 11977 раз.

#32  Сообщение Admin » 26 окт 2012, 23:00

Spike Lee in-depth look at Jackson's 1987 album, 'Bad,' moves like a great pop song, with performance clips, 'who knew?' anecdotes and A-list testimonials.
Изображение
Michael Jackson and Vincent Paterson on the set of "[lexicon]Smooth Criminal[/lexicon]" in a scene from "Bad 25." (Sam Emerson, ABC / October 25, 2012)

October 25, 2012, 4:06 p.m.
An unexpected narrative has solidified around Michael Jackson's legacy since the pop superstar died in 2009: that as much as he was a creative genius — an artist capable of pulling inspiration from the cosmos, as Jackson himself describes it in Spike Lee's new documentary "Bad 25" — his success came largely as the result of hard work.

The master is being remade as a trouper.

We saw the beginnings of this in "[lexicon]This is it[/lexicon]," the 2009 documentary-cum-concert film assembled by Kenny Ortega from footage recorded during rehearsals for Jackson's ill-fated run of shows at the O2 Arena in London.

PHOTOS: Michael Jackson life in pictures

And now the story advances in "Bad 25," which takes an in-depth look at the making of Jackson's 1987 follow-up to the world-dominating "[lexicon]Thriller[/lexicon]." (It's part of a 25th-anniversary onslaught that also includes a deluxe reissue of the album.)

"This documentary celebrates the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, and the achievements of his album 'Bad,'" reads a title card at the end of the movie, and the word "achievements" seems instructive: Lee revels in the long hours and musicianly expertise required to produce hits such as "[lexicon]Smooth Criminal[/lexicon]" and "[lexicon]Man in the mirror[/lexicon]."

The album's commercial triumph, in his account, simply rewarded a job well done.

"Celebrates" is another telling word. Packed with flattering performance clips and fawning testimonials from A-list admirers, Lee's two-hour film is no less worshipful than "[lexicon]This is it[/lexicon]."

The director nods to the extra-musical pursuits that threatened to destabilize Jackson's career during the extended layover between "[lexicon]Thriller[/lexicon]" and "Bad." He's especially insightful on the singer's controversial acquisition in 1985 of the Beatles' songbook, which cultural critic Nelson George says unsettled people — white people, one infers — who view those songs as "sacred."

But those were distractions, Lee decides.

What elevates "Bad 25" over sizzle-reel utility Lee's his distinctive personal touch. Partly, that means Lee's ability to get celebrities in front of a camera, as he did here with Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey and Kanye West, who thanks Jackson for introducing him in "[lexicon]Dirty Diana[/lexicon]" to a predatory-groupie type he's since come to know well.

In one memorable sequence, the director dissects the "Bad" video with its director, Martin Scorsese — a kind of "Behind 'Behind the Music'" moment that reflects the obsession with minutiae that animates all of Lee's work.

And with Jackson, there's never any shortage of fascinating insider anecdotes. Who knew, for example, that playwright August Wilson had been asked to write a script for the video for "[lexicon]The way you make me feel[/lexicon]"? (Wilson said no.)

All those details suggest that a nearly Jacksonian level of effort went into this meticulously researched movie, which following a theatrical run in L.A. is due to air on ABC on Thanksgiving. But not unlike the singer and his producer Quincy Jones, Lee stitches them together with speed and precision.

On-screen, "Bad 25" moves in the style of a great pop song.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,492252.story
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

Lina (28 окт 2012, 15:36) • Trueamore (26 окт 2012, 23:06) • TAIS (26 окт 2012, 23:03)

Admin
Автор темы

#33  Сообщение Admin » 27 окт 2012, 23:15

BBC reviews #Bad25 : “An awesome, evergreen and essential pop masterpiece.”
Изображение
Unedited review by Mike Diver:

A multi-million-unit-shifter, Bad was (and remains) as important to 1980s pop culture as the rise of the Walkman, the Back to the Future movies, and the shooting of JR. Like 1982’s Thriller, it’s an album that appeared to easily find a home within the record collection of rockers and poppers, punks and poets alike.

Ubiquity comes cheap in 2012 (thanks, internet), but in 1987, it was earned by being the best of the best. And Bad was just that: almost a greatest hits package, it spawned nine hit singles. Its chart campaign didn’t begin with the title cut, but with I Just Can’t Stop Loving You, a number one in both the US and UK. In Britain, Bad (the song) peaked at 3, as Rick Astley sat atop the pile.

The title track rocketed to No.1 in the US, followed by The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Dirty Diana. Jackson’s star was at its zenith across the 1980s – but fame never guarantees critical approval. Yet Bad was as well-received in the press as it was by Jackson’s fans. It’s a special rarity: a commercial behemoth with nary a lapse in quality across its 48 minutes.

Quincy Jones’ production is tight yet yielding, every song allowed to breathe and never cluttered by needless elements. Dirty Diana is remarkably lean, Steve Stevens’ flamboyant guitar aside, yet powerful too. Speed Demon, deemed “filler” by critics at the time, is fun funk-rock that’d sit happily on a Prince album of the period, compositionally if not lyrically.

Unreleased demos make up the majority of this anniversary release’s second disc. Amongst the most interesting are Song Groove (A/K/A Abortion Papers) and Price of Fame. The former, aggressive of percussion yet light of synth, is about a Christian girl carrying an unwanted pregnancy. “Michael knew (it) could be controversial,” read the accompanying notes; but Jackson handles the subject matter with tenderness.
Price of Fame addresses the pressures Jackson felt as a pop idol. Of his obsessed followers, he wrote: “They’ll do anything and it’s breaking my heart… It’s running me crazy.” It is, perhaps, a first instance of the cracks that’d soon spread. But nothing that was to come in Jackson’s career could ever take the shine off this awesome, evergreen and essential pop masterpiece.

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

Lina (28 окт 2012, 15:36) • Trueamore (28 окт 2012, 00:36) • TAIS (27 окт 2012, 23:35)

Admin
Автор темы

#34  Сообщение Lina » 28 окт 2012, 15:39

Пост Ани MJJ2908 с МДЖ

Мори была на показе фильма Спайка Ли в ЛА http://morinen-mj-blog.livejournal.com/158690.html

Bad 25

Сходила вчера на показ "Bad 25" Спайка Ли в Лос-Анджелесе. Получила массу позитивных впечатлений. После просмотра даже осталось ощущение легкой эйфории - настолько фильм заряжает эмоциями. Смотреть его на большом экране - огромное удовольствие. Ничуть не жалею, что смоталась ради этого в другой город.

Что меня вначале немного расстроило, так это небольшое количество народу в кинотеатре. Это бы вечер пятницы, первый день показа, и на него пришло человек пятьдесят (при том что зал вмещает 400). Я не понимаю, у Майкла что, в Лос-Анджелесе 50 поклонников? Где были все? Где все эти артисты, которых он так вдохновил? Особенно обидно было потому, что показ посетил Джон Бранка, и наверняка после всех хвалебных отзывов с кинофестивалей он ожидал большего успеха в родном городе Майкла. В прокате фильм определенно не получил должного промоушена - новость про показы появилась всего на одном сайте, и в день премьеры снаружи кинотеатра ничто не указывало на то, что там идет такой фильм. У билетных касс внутри стоял постер, и это вся реклама, которую я видела.

Изображение

На Бранку мы наткнулись совершенно неожиданно - то есть я буквально подняла голову и увидела его прямо перед собой. Конечно, встретить его там я совсем не планировала, поэтому оказалась не готова говорить речь и сумела только пролепетать что-то невнятное про то, что восхищаюсь его стилем работы. Он дружелюбный и забавный - лохматый и ходит в таких нелепых широких ботинках, какие у рейверов в 90-е были в моде. Нипочем не скажешь, что один из самых успешных юристов шоу-бизнеса.

Изображение

Вот интересно, что с Мезеро и Касио мне фотографироваться казалось совершенно лишним, а с Бранкой очень захотелось. Наверное потому, что он в моих глазах сам по себе знаменитость.

Я успела его спросить, есть ли у эстейта еще невыпущенные архивные съемки Майкла. Джон ответил, что есть, но из более поздних периодов, и есть надежда на их выпуск, если эстейт решит делать по следующим альбомам проекты, подобные Bad 25.

Ну и про сам фильм. Он замечательный. Два часа пролетели как двадцать минут. Просидела, всю дорогу не закрывая рта - половину времени от изумления, половину - в улыбке. Зал, хоть и немногочисленный, реагировал очень живо - всем уважаемым комментаторам аплодировали (кроме Бибера, lol), появление Майкла на экране встречали одобрительными возгласами.

В фильме фантастический звук. В кинотеатре он тоже был хорошо настроен, так что вокал Майкла и его голосовые упражнения звучали просто потрясающе. Я заранее завидую тем, кто будет смотреть это на пятиканальных системах.

Понравилось то, о чем говорили комментаторы - не просто в стотысячный раз о том, как велик и талантлив Майкл, а о мелочах, об интересных деталях съемок - о деталях, которых отражают его характер и рабочую этику. Хотя почти все самое интересное уже пересказали в рецензиях на фильм, все равно послушать такие впечатления из первых уст было очень здорово.

Но самое главное и ценное в фильме - это, конечно, архивные съемки Майкла. Он в них какой-то просто нереальный. Неземной. Настолько, что от этих тридцатисекундных отрывков голова начинает кружиться. Я серьезно не понимаю, как люди, которые с ним рядом работали, его выдерживали в таких дозах и не теряли сознание. За одну коротенькую сцену в Liberian Girl можно душу продать! В каждой его фразе, в каждой улыбке - фантастическое, обезоруживающее обаяние. Разве возможно, увидев его таким, написать о нем с цинизмом? Его же невозможно не любить, он - словно воплощение всего привлекательного, что может быть в человеке.

Я не знаю, произведут ли такое же впечатление съемки более поздних периодов, о которых говорил Бранка (кстати, я уверена, что он слукавил, - у них должны быть более длинные записи и из Bad, не по тридцать же секунд они снимали). Но, я уже говорила, мне кажется, период записи Bad был особенным для Майкла в этом смысле - он тогда наслаждался небывалой славой после Thriller и еще не подвергался таким нападкам на свою личность и музыку, какие начались после выпуска альбома Bad. Такое впечатление, что он душой пребывал в каком-то абсолютном блаженстве. Он его излучает, это слышно и в фильме, и в песнях того периода, и в самом альбоме.

И конечно, не скажу ничего оригинального, но, видя его таким в середине восьмидесятых, снова осознаешь весь ужас и нелепость остракизма, которому он был подвергнут после. Он принес в наш мир только счастье, музыку и фантазии. И что он получил взамен от человечества? Как сказала какая-то девушка в фильме, каждому из нас должно быть стыдно.

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Lina поблагодарили (всего 4):
TAIS (28 окт 2012, 16:41) • Admin (28 окт 2012, 16:30) • Trueamore (28 окт 2012, 16:26) • Mermaid (28 окт 2012, 16:16)
Рейтинг: 36.36%

Lina
Благодарил (а): 13125 раз.

#35  Сообщение Mermaid » 28 окт 2012, 16:18

Спасибо вам большое за этот отзыв. Слезы на глаза навернулись, особенно после концовки.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Mermaid поблагодарил:
Lina (28 окт 2012, 18:17)
Рейтинг: 9.09%

Mermaid
Прогресс до нового звания:
8.6%
Благодарил (а): 543 раз.

Re: Первый официальный трэйлер к BAD25

#36  Сообщение Trueamore » 23 ноя 2012, 20:54

Изображение

Релиз фильма состоится 13 февраля следующего года

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Trueamore поблагодарили (всего 2):
Lina (24 ноя 2012, 18:31) • Admin (23 ноя 2012, 21:54)
Рейтинг: 18.18%

Trueamore
Благодарил (а): 6693 раз.

#37  Сообщение Trueamore » 23 ноя 2012, 22:31

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/23/sp ... nto-top-40

Spike Lee Film on ABC Spikes Michael Jackson “Bad” Box Into Top 40

UPDATE: The Spike Lee film on ABC last night has pushed the “Bad25″ boxed set up to number 37 on amazon.com.

Earlier: The Spike Lee documentary on Michael Jackson, “Bad 25,” aired Thursday night on ABC. For some reason, I could never get anyone to send me a review DVD, so I waited and DVR’d it in real time. “Bad25″ the doc is pretty much a sales vehicle for the “Bad25″ boxed set of four discs–the original album, the outtake demos, a Wembley Arena concert–that is worth buying as one package.

Indeed, last night’s showing sent “Bad25″ the boxed set up to number 189 on Amazon.com, so it was a success. Spike Lee makes excellent documentaries, so it’s no surprise that he’s turned the making of “Bad,” Michael’s followup album to “Thriller,” into a good yarn. He weaves in some amazing clips of Michael performing on the “Bad” tour, and we get to see the real unfettered genius — dancing, singing, composing–that was Michael before the 90s began and his life fell apart in an almost non stop fast forward of catastrophes.

No effort is made to examine what happened after “Bad” and its tour. One thing that happened was Michael’s capricious dismissal of Frank DiLeo, the manager who steered him through the 80s and his great successes. DiLeo was starting to voice disagreement with Jackson about the direction of his life, and Michael–who in Spike Lee’s movie comes off as an enchanted child–showed off his willfulness and fired him. Almost no mention of DiLeo is made in the Spike Lee film, although he gets a nice thank you on the boxed set. If, if, if…If DiLeo had remained, maybe Michael would not have spent money wildly and indulged fantasies that became his undoing. We’ll never know. But after that, no ever said ‘no’ again, and if they did, they were gone.

A lot of other people are noticeably absent from the Lee film, but Spike keeps it on the music. And in that it’s only good. Just the full length clips of Michael, live, performing “Man in the Mirror” (which he didn’t write) and “Another Part of Me,” are worth the whole movie. Also, Spike does reference the various influences Jackson had from Fred Astaire and old black and white movies. Like Madonna, Michael Jackson was proficient in processing what came before him and re-imagining it for a new generation.

Some things are said in this movie and left unexamined, including observations about Michael’s image with women needing change, his insistence on using a high little boy’s voice instead of his own deep register, and his being “too shy” to kiss the hot girl at the end of a video. These things just hang in the air. There were a few other things I found odd, or funny, but they’re irrelevant right now. The main purpose of “Bad25,” besides generating income, is to appreciate Michael Jackson’s art. Judged just for that, Spike Lee did a great job.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Trueamore поблагодарили (всего 3):
Admin (26 ноя 2012, 12:41) • Lina (24 ноя 2012, 18:38) • TAIS (23 ноя 2012, 23:39)

Trueamore

#38  Сообщение Trueamore » 25 ноя 2012, 22:15

Spike Lee ‏@SpikeLee
Thanks For Watching.What You Viewed Is 64 Minutes Of The Original 2 Hour And 11 Minute Version.The Blu-Ray/DVD Drops Feb 2013.Bonus Extras 2

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Trueamore поблагодарили (всего 2):
Admin (26 ноя 2012, 12:41) • Lina (26 ноя 2012, 07:35)
Рейтинг: 18.18%

Trueamore

#39  Сообщение Trueamore » 25 ноя 2012, 22:23

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/25/mi ... heryl-crow

Michael Jackson: ABC Cut 30 Minutes from Spike Lee Doc, Including Sensual Dance with Sheryl Crow

Ok, so no one bothered to send the actual full version of Spike Lee’s “Bad 25″ documentary. The 90 minute version aired on ABC on Thanksgiving night. On Friday morning, the DVD of the complete movie arrived (thanks to the Critics Choice Awards). It clocks in at 123 minutes, at least 30 minutes longer than the ABC version.

And seeing it, I now understand what ABC did: they chopped this thing up and took out a lot of really great stuff. Among the missing items: all of the interviews with Stevie Wonder, including the legend at the piano and reminiscing about recording with Jackson; a very young Sheryl Crow in 1987 on tour with Michael, performing a sensual dance to “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” and Sheryl’s racy recollection; attorney John Branca insisting that he and Michael did not steal the Beatles catalog out from under Paul McCartney; and many instances of Michael directing his videos or recordings. There’s also one interesting moment at 1:05 in which it’s clear that Michael is healing unselfish-consciously from facial surgery on his cheeks and nose.

Also missing from the ABC version but on the DVD is a fun stretch showcasing a bunch of celebrities who were filmed for Jackson’s “Liberian Girl” video.

Spike Lee also included one five second piece of video of Frank DiLeo right at the beginning of “Bad25,” but he never mentions him again as the guiding force behind “Bad” or the tour that followed. Too bad considering there are a number of people featured who didn’t even know Michael Jackson, including Justin Bieber (I have no idea what he’s doing or what he’s talking about) and someone named Joseph Vogel, who’s credited as author of a book that’s just come out and has sold has badly as the Randall Sullivan book. I would rather have seen Randy Taraborelli, who at least is an expert on this part of Michael’s life.

Also, plenty of people, like Quincy Jones, are only shown in footage from the “Bad” era and not now. The fact that DiLeo died in 2011 wouldn’t have precluded his being in the film. There’s a lot of archival interview footage.

Well, it’s too bad. Who cuts Stevie Wonder out of a documentary, anyway? ABC should have just shown “Bad25″ in its entirety. They cheated Michael’s fans and the audience at large.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Trueamore поблагодарили (всего 3):
Admin (26 ноя 2012, 12:40) • Lina (26 ноя 2012, 07:36) • TAIS (26 ноя 2012, 00:03)

Trueamore

#40  Сообщение Lina » 26 ноя 2012, 07:39

Trueamore писал(а):http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/25/michael-jackson-abc-cut-30-minutes-from-spike-lee-doc-including-sensual-dance-with-sheryl-crow

Michael Jackson: ABC Cut 30 Minutes from Spike Lee Doc, Including Sensual Dance with Sheryl Crow

Ok, so no one bothered to send the actual full version of Spike Lee’s “Bad 25″ documentary. The 90 minute version aired on ABC on Thanksgiving night. On Friday morning, the DVD of the complete movie arrived (thanks to the Critics Choice Awards). It clocks in at 123 minutes, at least 30 minutes longer than the ABC version.

And seeing it, I now understand what ABC did: they chopped this thing up and took out a lot of really great stuff. Among the missing items: all of the interviews with Stevie Wonder, including the legend at the piano and reminiscing about recording with Jackson; a very young Sheryl Crow in 1987 on tour with Michael, performing a sensual dance to “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” and Sheryl’s racy recollection; attorney John Branca insisting that he and Michael did not steal the Beatles catalog out from under Paul McCartney; and many instances of Michael directing his videos or recordings. There’s also one interesting moment at 1:05 in which it’s clear that Michael is healing unselfish-consciously from facial surgery on his cheeks and nose.

Also missing from the ABC version but on the DVD is a fun stretch showcasing a bunch of celebrities who were filmed for Jackson’s “Liberian Girl” video.

Spike Lee also included one five second piece of video of Frank DiLeo right at the beginning of “Bad25,” but he never mentions him again as the guiding force behind “Bad” or the tour that followed. Too bad considering there are a number of people featured who didn’t even know Michael Jackson, including Justin Bieber (I have no idea what he’s doing or what he’s talking about) and someone named Joseph Vogel, who’s credited as author of a book that’s just come out and has sold has badly as the Randall Sullivan book. I would rather have seen Randy Taraborelli, who at least is an expert on this part of Michael’s life.

Also, plenty of people, like Quincy Jones, are only shown in footage from the “Bad” era and not now. The fact that DiLeo died in 2011 wouldn’t have precluded his being in the film. There’s a lot of archival interview footage.

Well, it’s too bad. Who cuts Stevie Wonder out of a documentary, anyway? ABC should have just shown “Bad25″ in its entirety. They cheated Michael’s fans and the audience at large.

И все-то они на свой лад переиначивают. Почему было не показать полную версию? Хорошо, что еще есть DVD.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Lina поблагодарил:
TAIS (01 дек 2012, 00:10)
Рейтинг: 9.09%

Lina
Благодарил (а): 13125 раз.

Пред.След.

Вернуться в BAD