Добро пожаловать в Мир Майкла Джексона, Гость!    Регистрация  Или выполнить  Вход       

Заголовок Объявления
Поздравляем
deannispemi
Судебные процессы против Конрада Мюррея, иск Кэтрин Джексон против AEG Live./The Trial of Conrad Murray, Katherine Jackson AEG Lawsuit

Кэтрин Джексон против AEG Live

Re: Кэтрин Джексон против AEG Live

#881  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 07 сен 2013, 02:44

Jury hears of Jackson’s friendships with doctors

For Michael Jackson, a trip to the doctor's office sometimes wasn't just paying a visit to a health care provider. It was paying a visit to a trusted friend.

A jury has been hearing for weeks about the pop superstar's close relationship with many of his medical providers _ spending Christmas with some doctors, inviting others to spend time at Neverland Ranch. His primary care doctor served as the best man at the singer's second wedding, to a woman who worked in his dermatologist's office and became a frequent companion on his medical visits.

Jackson's relationship with his final doctor, Conrad Murray, is important to the negligent hiring case, but in the process jurors are getting an inside look at celebrity health care _ after-hours visits, house calls and false names on records and prescriptions _ that are meant to preserve confidentiality but can present ethical challenges for doctors. They have also heard a detailed portrait of medical history, including painful burns and the skin conditions vitiligo and discoid lupus that led Jackson to feel he was disfigured.

Other practitioners have recounted stories of telling Jackson they wouldn't comply with his requests for painkillers or the powerful anesthetic that would kill him in his bedroom in 2009.

The parade of testimony from Jackson's doctors is central to the defense case being mounted by AEG Live LLC, the company promoting Jackson's ill-fated comeback concerts, which is being sued by the singer's mother. Katherine Jackson says the company hired Murray to help her son prepare for his "This Is It" shows. In the process, her attorneys say, AEG Live created a conflict of interest that compelled Murray to provide her son with the anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid in order to preserve his anticipated $150,000 a month payday.

AEG contends it is not liable for the superstar's death but that it was his own personal choices that led to his demise.

Stories the jurors have heard throughout the 18-week trial about Jackson and his doctors:

_ Two of Jackson's doctors, Scott Saunders and William Van Valin II, went to Jackson's Neverland Ranch near Santa Barbara, according to testimony from Saunders. Saunders recounted how Jackson occasionally showed up at his home unannounced and sent him and his family Christmas presents one year. Saunders said Jackson would sometimes invite him out to Neverland and would ask him to stay longer so they could just talk.

_ Jackson occasionally lived in the garage, converted into a guest room, of Dr. Alimorad Farshcian when the Miami physician was treating the singer from 2001 until 2003. Farshchian placed an implant in Jackson's abdomen to block the euphoric effects of opioid drugs so he would stop taking them. Farshcian said he traveled with Jackson and spent Christmas with him in 2002.

_ Several witnesses who described Jackson's medical treatments said the singer required after-hours visits to avoid paparazzi scrutiny. His records were sometimes filed under the names Omar Arnold, Michael Jefferson or other aliases and prescriptions were also sometimes placed in false names to try to protect his privacy.

_ Jackson's second wife, Debbie Rowe, worked for the singer's longtime dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein and would accompany the singer to many of his medical appointments throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Rowe said Jackson was intensely afraid of pain and required numerous procedures to treat his vitiligo and try to repair damage to his scalp after it was burned while filming a Pepsi commercial in 1984. When Rowe and Jackson married in Australia in 1996, another of the singer's physicians, Dr. Allan Metzger, served as their best man.

_ Rowe said Klein and a now-retired plastic surgeon, Dr. Steven Hoefflin, competed with each other for who could give Jackson the best painkillers. Rowe said Jackson trusted his doctors. "Michael had a very low pain tolerance and his fear of pain was incredible," she said. "I think the doctors took advantage of him that way."

_ Dental anesthesiologist Dr. Christine Quinn said in 1998 or 1999 Jackson summoned her to a Beverly Hills hotel and asked her to give him propofol to help him sleep. She said she refused.

_ Dr. Gordon Sasaki, who tried to repair damage to Jackson's scalp in 2003, said he accepted the singer's invitation to go to Neverland Ranch after they met. Sasaki however refused to prescribe any more painkillers to Jackson after the singer requested Percocet three times in a short time span. Sasaki said he turned over Jackson's pain management to Klein.

_ Dr. Stephen Gordon, a Las Vegas plastic surgeon, said Jackson requested that he give him a shot of the painkiller Demerol "for the road" after a procedure in 2003. Gordon refused and didn't see Jackson again for another four years, when he returned with Murray. Jackson acted as if he didn't know Gordon, the doctor said, and Murray took charge of the visit, driving Jackson to the office and paying for it when it was over. "There was nothing usual or customary about what he was doing," Gordon said of Murray.

Attorneys for Jackson's mother have acknowledged that Jackson struggled with painkillers throughout his life, but have said most of his prescriptions were tied to medical procedures. AEG Live's lawyers contend Jackson showed signs that he was doctor shopping, hid his addiction to painkillers and lied about his medical history.

A close relationship between a doctor and patients is not inherently wrong, said Arthur Caplan, the director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center. He said it often occurs in small towns, and wealthy patients can sometimes afford to hire their own doctors. The problem occurs when the doctor's judgment is clouded and their treatment is affected.

"If you can't say no or stop, you probably are too far down the friendship highway," Caplan said.

Я готова верить, но надо знать во что!

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарили (всего 2):
Admin (07 сен 2013, 20:22) • Lina (07 сен 2013, 19:20)
Рейтинг: 18.18%

Liberian Girl
Благодарил (а): 2485 раз.

#882  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 07 сен 2013, 12:28

AEG Calls On Doctor To Testify In Jackson Wrongful Death Suit

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A doctor’s testimony was used in court Friday in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Michael Jackson’s family.

Dr. William van Valin II, who wrote a book called “Conversations in Neverland with Michael Jackson,” said he warned the King of Pop that taking too much of the painkiller Demerol would be risking death.

The physician said he first began treating the pop star in 2001, often visiting the singer at his Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County and at the doctor’s home.

Van Valin said he prescribed Demerol because Jackson complained of pain. But he became suspicious that Jackson was seeing another doctor for Demerol when he noticed the singer showed signs of receiving an injection before visiting Van Valin.

“Michael, if you’re doubling up…that could kill you,” Van Valin said he told Jackson.

His testimony was shown to jurors in the wrongful death lawsuit Katherine Jackson filed in September 2010. The suit alleges AEG Live, the promoter for Jackson’s “This Is It” tour, hired Dr. Conrad Murray to care for the singer and that he failed to supervise Jackson properly.

Attorneys for AEG Live counter that Jackson hired Murray in 2006 as his personal physician and wanted him continue on as his doctor during the tour as an independent contractor.

In 2011, Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to four years in jail after Jackson died of a drug overdose. The doctor intravenously administered the anesthetic propofol to the singer, who was living in a rented Holmby Hills home while rehearsing for the tour.

AEG Live called on Van Valin to testify that he refused Jackson’s request for propofol during one of their appointments. He said Jackson didn’t seem angry about it.

“For a guy used to getting his way, he was pretty complacent about it,” van Valin said.

In a passage in his book, van Valin wrote that he first met Jackson when the singer came to his home looking for a doctor who would make house calls. Jackson told the physician he found his name in a phone book.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарили (всего 3):
Admin (07 сен 2013, 20:22) • Lina (07 сен 2013, 19:19) • TAIS (07 сен 2013, 14:30)
Рейтинг: 27.27%

Liberian Girl

#883  Сообщение Lina » 08 сен 2013, 21:26

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/08/showbiz/m ... ar_twitter

Michael Jackson's pain was real, doctor testifies

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 4:28 AM EDT, Sun September 8, 2013

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Before Michael Jackson asked a doctor to treat his insomnia with propofol, he tried falling asleep to the physician reading him bedtime stories.

The pop star's desperate decades-long search for sleep ultimately led to his death when he overdosed on the surgical anesthetic on June 25, 2009.

The trial to decide if Jackson's last concert promoter is liable for his death is nearing an end after more than four months of testimony.

AEG Live's lawyers plan to rest their defense case this week, with Jackson lawyers presenting several rebuttal witnesses. Closing arguments are likely the last week of September.

Dr. Barney Van Valin, whose video testimony was shown to jurors Friday, refused Jackson's request for propofol infusions in 2003, but six years later -- in Dr. Van Valin's words -- another physician "put him to sleep like a dog."

Jackson's mother and three children contend AEG Live is liable for his death because the company hired, retained or supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for Jackson's propofol overdose. Murray told investigators he gave Jackson nightly infusions of the drug to treat his insomnia the last two months of his life.

AEG Live lawyers argue Jackson, not their executives, chose and controlled Murray and that the company had no way of knowing about the dangerous treatments in the privacy of the singer's bedroom.

The producers ignored warning signs that Jackson's health was deteriorating, and instead of finding another doctor to intervene, they kept Murray and made him responsible for getting Jackson to rehearsals for his comeback concerts, the Jacksons contend.

MJ and doctor were "best friends"

Dr. Van Valin's practice is near the Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County, California, where Jackson lived until his acquittal in a child molestation trial in 2005.

"We were best friends, you know," Dr. Van Valin testified. "I didn't have a better friend and I don't think he did."

Jackson "would just show up" at Van Valin's home every week or so without warning, he said. The doctor would open his door to leave for work in the morning "and he would just be standing there."

His driver told him once that Jackson had been waiting at his door for 35 minutes, not wanting to knock because he thought that was impolite.

Van Valin's children would stay home from school some days Jackson visited.

"I'd come home from work and there's Michael there at the house and they're watching cartoons or, you know, eating pizza," Van Valin said. At first it was a novelty, but after several years it was routine, he said.

The doctor was asked under cross examination if Michael Jackson a good father.

"No, he is an amazing father," he answered. "Because I'm a good father and he was better than me. He respected them and as they respected him and he would correct them gently."

Doctor: Jackson didn't fake pain to get drugs

AEG Live's defense includes the contention that Jackson cultivated friendships with doctors to gain access to drugs to feed a secretive addiction. But Van Valin denied Jackson ever used their friendship to get prescriptions to medication that were not clinically indicated.

Although he was compelled to testify as a witness for AEG Live, Van Valin's testimony boosted the Jackson case by showing that Jackson's use of painkillers was medically justified by chronic pain suffered in a 1997 stage accident, Jackson lawyers said.

The doctor said Jackson showed the "classic symptoms of lower back pain" and an MRI study confirmed a bulge in a disc in his lower spine consistent with where his pain was.

Dr. Van Valin said he never suspected Jackson was faking his pain to get painkiller shots.

"I looked for that because there are plenty of people that come in and try to scam me, so I'm always looking for that," he testified.

While the doctor said "nothing implied" that Jackson was abusing painkillers, there was one incident during house call in 2002 that caused him to suspect Jackson might be getting additional shots of the powerful opioid Demerol from another doctor. He noticed "a little blood spot" on Jackson's T-shirt after he gave him a shot, he said.

"I lifted it up and there's a little Band-Aid over it and I said, 'Michael,' I said, 'you have another doctor that gave you a shot.' I said, 'You realize what risk you put yourself and me at by doing that? Who came and gave you a shot?' 'Oh, no, I didn't -- it was not a shot.'" Van Valin said. "But it was. He was lying."

AEG Live contends Jackson kept doctors in the dark about other doctors' treatments. The argument is important to their contention that his dangerous drug use would have shortened his life even if he had not died in 2009. The shorter his life expectancy, the less money they might be ordered to pay in damages if found liable in his death.

"I told him, I said, 'You know what, I can't do this, okay, 'cause if you're doubling up, you know, I give you a shot and then you've already had one,' I said, 'I could kill you,'" Van Valin testified.

Van Valin remained close friends with Jackson even though he stopped treating him soon after that incident, he said.

Bedtime stories versus Diprivan

The doctor's testimony revealed more about Jackson's relationship with the drug that killed him -- the surgical anesthetic propofol, also known as Diprivan. AEG Live lawyers contend it was a drug Jackson knew a lot about, but that their executives had no knowledge of.

Debbie Rowe, Jackson's former wife, testified earlier that German doctors infused the singer with it in a Munich hotel on two nights to help him sleep between "HIStory" tour shows in 1997. Jackson lawyers pointed out that Paul Gongaware, who is now the AEG Live co-CEO, was Jackson's tour manager then.

Five years later, Jackson asked Van Valin to help him go to sleep.

"Sometimes, he'd say, 'Barney, do me a favor, see if I can sleep, I'm going to get under the covers on that rollout couch,' and he said, 'Just read me out of a book,'" Van Valin testified. "I'd find a book that looked interesting and I'd just start reading or I'd tell him stories. That didn't work because often times he got excited about the story and say, 'That really happened?' or something. Anyway, I'd read to him -- and when it seemed like he was asleep I'd slip out, you know, kind of hard because the door made a little noise. If I thought he was asleep I'd leave, and once in awhile he'd say, 'Good night, Barney,' and when I got to the door, he wasn't asleep at all."

Dr. Van Valin also tried to help Jackson sleep with sedatives, including Xanax, without success, he said.

Jackson, however, revealed to him in 2003 that he had a stash of propofol in a closet of his Neverland Ranch bedroom, Van Valin said.

"He said, 'Would you put me to sleep, I haven't been able to sleep for four days,' and I said, 'With what?' And he goes, 'Well, I have this stuff,' and I said, 'Mike, I don't do I.V. sedation. You need an anesthesiologist to do that.' And he said, 'Oh, it's safe, man, I used it for all those years between shows and I got put to sleep.' I said, 'I can't imagine that was good sleep." You know, he said, "No, it works really well."

He said Jackson told him that during his world tours him a doctor "would put in the I.V. and put me to sleep, and he'd stay there for eight hours and wake me up 'cause I would go -- if I had three days between shows, I would have three days I didn't sleep and, you know, that I couldn't put on the show I wanted to have, you know, I mean, I want my shows to be, you know, as high end as possible."

"Sounds like a doctor who did his job, not like this other guy, who just started the drip and left the room and basically put him to sleep like a dog," Van Valin said.

Jackson was "pretty complacent" when he rejected his request for help with propofol and he never asked for it again, Van Valin said.

Dr. Conrad Murray told CNN's Anderson Cooper in April that Jackson had "his own stash" of propofol in his home before he began treating him with it in 2009.

"I did not agree with Michael, but Michael felt that it was not an issue because he had been exposed to it for years and he knew exactly how things worked," Murray said. "And given the situation at the time, it was my approach to try to get him off of it, but Michael Jackson was not the kind of person you can just say 'Put it down' and he's going to do that."

Jackson lawyers argue that AEG Live was negligent for not checking out Murray's distressed financial situation before agreeing to pay him $150,000 a month. It created a conflict of interest that led Murray to ignore safe practices and his responsibility to Jackson's health, they contend.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Lina поблагодарили (всего 4):
Dream (09 сен 2013, 15:52) • Trueamore (09 сен 2013, 00:21) • TAIS (09 сен 2013, 00:02) • Admin (08 сен 2013, 21:59)
Рейтинг: 36.36%

Lina
Благодарил (а): 13125 раз.

#884  Сообщение Lina » 09 сен 2013, 22:44

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... t-20203147

Judge Dismisses AEG Execs From Jackson Lawsuit

LOS ANGELES September 9, 2013 (AP)
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY AP Entertainment Writer

A judge on Monday dismissed two executives from a negligence lawsuit filed by Michael Jackson's mother and allowed the case to proceed against AEG Live LLC, the promoter of his planned comeback concerts.

Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos said lawyers for Katherine Jackson hadn't shown enough evidence that Randy Phillips, CEO of AEG Live LLC, and promoter Paul Gongaware were responsible for the death of the pop star.
Судья Верховного суда Иветт Пэлэзуелос сказал, что адвокаты Кэтрин Джексон не привели достаточно доказательства, что Рэнди Филлипс, генеральный директор AEG Live LLC, и покровитель Пол Гонгоэр были ответственны за смерть поп-звезды.

The judge, however, did rule that jurors should decide whether AEG Live hired Conrad Murray, the former cardiologist convicted of giving Michael Jackson a lethal overdose of anesthetic in June 2009. AEG Live denies any wrongdoing.

The ruling will simplify the case for jurors, who could begin deliberations before the end of the month.

During the trial, Katherine Jackson's lawyers attacked the actions of Gongaware and Phillips in the months before the death. They claimed the executives missed warning signs about the superstar's health and created a conflict of interest for his physician.

Phillips and Gongaware denied they did anything wrong when they testified early in the case.

Katherine Jackson sued AEG Live in 2010, claiming the company hired Murray.

AEG Live lawyers argued the Jackson family matriarch had failed to prove that the company hired Murray or that its executives could have foreseen that the doctor was giving the entertainer treatments that would lead to his death.

The company is expected to conclude its defense next week. Lawyers for Jackson's mother say they plan to call several rebuttal witnesses.

Due to an illness in a juror's family, Palazuelos said there would be no testimony in the case this week.

Opening statements in the case were April 29 and jurors have heard from more than 50 witnesses in 20 weeks. Key witnesses have included Jackson's mother, his oldest son, his ex-wife Debbie Rowe, and several top AEG Live executives.

The trial has featured potentially damaging testimony to both sides, with Katherine Jackson's lawyers displaying emails sent by AEG executives describing Jackson in unflattering terms.

The company's lawyers have shown the jury testimony from several of Jackson's doctors, who described close relationships with the singer and their occasional misgivings about whether he was shopping for doctors or had grown dependent on prescription medications.

"I really think it would be inappropriate here for this to go to a jury," AEG Live defense attorney Marvin S. Putnam argued Monday.

Deborah Chang, an attorney for Katherine Jackson, countered that evidence in the case supported the family's position that AEG is responsible for Michael Jackson's death. They claim AEG Live created a conflict of interest in Murray's care of Jackson by agreeing to pay him $150,000 a month to work as a tour physician.

"They created the conflict and I think all of that is well within the record," she said.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Lina поблагодарил:
Trueamore (09 сен 2013, 23:57)
Рейтинг: 9.09%

Lina

#885  Сообщение Lina » 09 сен 2013, 22:50

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 10 мин
Detail from updated story: There will be NO testimony this week in the Jackson vs AEG Live case so a juror can visit an ill family member. (о ком это он?)

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 10 мин
Testimony will resume Monday Sept. 16. AEG Live is still expected to rest that week and then the rebuttal case will begin

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 5 мин
The lawyers will use this week to take care of important work such as jury instructions and the verdict form.

Показать ссылки поста

Lina

#886  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 10 сен 2013, 02:51

Jackson judge indicates she'll toss case against AEG officials

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge made a tentative ruling Monday throwing out the case against two AEG executives who were promoting Michael Jackson’s ill-fated “This Is It” comeback tour.

Judge Yvette Palazuelos, however, left AEG Live, one of the nation’s largest concert promoters, as a defendant in the case.

Jackson’s mother and three children are suing AEG Live, Chief Executive Randy Phillips and executive Paul Gongaware, saying they negligently hired and supervised Conrad Murray, the doctor who administered a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol to the singer to help with his insomnia. Jackson died as he was preparing for a set of concerts in London.

AEG has argued that Jackson hired Murray and that any money the company was supposed to pay the doctor was an advance to the singer.

Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s June 2009 death.

A mid-morning hearing is scheduled Monday to allow attorneys to argue the judge’s tentative ruling

Phillips and Gongaware are key witnesses at the trial, and both testified for several days. Phillips testified that he thought the lawsuit was extortion.

Phillips wrote several emails that have emerged as key evidence in the trial, now going into its fifth month and not expected to reach the jury until late this month or next.

After receiving an email from Kenny Ortega, the director of the planned “This Is It” concert series in London, saying Jackson needed psychiatric help just a few days before the singer died, Phillips wrote back: "I had a lengthy conversation with Dr. Murray, who I am gaining immense respect for as I get to deal with him more.

"He said that Michael is not only physically equipped to perform and, that discouraging him to, will hasten his decline. ... This doctor is extremely successful (we check everyone out) and does not need this gig so he [is] totally unbiased and ethical," Philips wrote.

But testimony showed the company did little to check out Murray, who is now serving a jail sentence. Murray, who closed his practice to serve as Jackson’s tour physician, was deep in debt and facing foreclosure on his home.

Gongaware, who had known Jackson from previous tours, helped negotiate Murray’s contract, which called for him to be paid $150,000 a month. According to trial testimony, no one connected with Jackson was shown any of the three drafts of the contract. Murray signed it the day before Jackson died, the only one who signed the document.

Gongaware wrote an email that could be among the most important pieces of evidence in determining who employed Murray. Eleven days before the singer died, he wrote: "We want to remind him [Murray] that it is AEG, not MJ who is paying his salary. We want him to understand what is expected of him."

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарил:
Lina (10 сен 2013, 07:34)
Рейтинг: 9.09%

Liberian Girl

#887  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 10 сен 2013, 02:53

Judge dismisses part of Katherine Jackson's suit against AEG

Изображение

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge on Monday dismissed two executives from a $40-billion negligence lawsuit filed by the late Michael Jackson's mother against the concert promoters in charge of his 2009 comeback tour.

Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos ruled that lawyers for Katherine Jackson have not proven claims that AEG Live chief executive officer Randy Phillips and promoter Paul Gongaware can be held responsible the death of the pop star on June 25, 2009. But the case against AEG will go on, leaving the jury to determine whether AEG hired Dr. Conrad Murray, the cardiologist who is serving a prison sentence for giving Michael Jackson the overdose of propofol that caused the singer's death. It was Murray's job to oversee Jackson throughout his rehearsals and the tenure of his 50-night tour in London.

During the trial, Katherine Jackson's lawyers blamed Phillips and Gongaware for missing or ignoring signs about the superstar's quickly declining health. Both men were key witnesses in the trial. AEG denies any wrongdoing, and has argued that Jackson hired Murray and that any money the company was supposed to pay the doctor was an advance to the singer.

In an e-mail presented during the trial, Phillips referred to Murray as "extremely successful and does not need this gig." But testimony later reflected that the company did little to check out Murray, who closed his practice to serve as Jackson's tour physician and was deep in debt and facing foreclosure on his home.

In another important e-mail shown to the jury, Gongaware wrote 11 days before Michael Jackson died: "We want to remind him [Murray] that it is AEG, not MJ who is paying his salary. We want him to understand what is expected of him." Gongaware helped negotiate Murray's contract,

Although both men have been removed from the lawsuit, AEG could still be liable for billions of dollars. It is not unusual at the end of civil cases for judges to eliminate individual defendants since it's the companies that pay the damages anyway.

In pre-trial hearings, Katherine Jackson was asked why she did not sue Murray. She responded that the singer's three children, who are also plaintiffs in the case, believed the doctor to be a "good person" and did not want to sue him. AEG countered that the Jackson family left Murray out of the lawsuit because he's broke.

The trial, now going into its fifth month, is expected to conclude at the end of the month. Closing arguments are expected to take place next week.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарили (всего 4):
Lina (11 сен 2013, 07:38) • Dream (10 сен 2013, 19:27) • Admin (10 сен 2013, 16:50) • TAIS (10 сен 2013, 08:21)

Liberian Girl

#888  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 11 сен 2013, 03:45

2 AEG executives dismissed from Jackson suit

The judge dismisses the case against Randy Phillips and Paul Gongaware because they were acting on behalf of AEG.

Изображение

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge dismissed the case against two ranking executives in the Michael Jackson wrongful death suit Monday but ruled that there was enough evidence to let jurors decide the lawsuit against their employer, concert promoter and producer AEG Live.

When the months-long case finally goes to the jury, the stakes could be enormous. Attorneys for Jackson's mother and three children presented testimony that Jackson could have earned as much as $1.5 billion had he not died on the eve of his "This Is It" comeback tour.

The Jacksons' lawsuit charged that AEG Live, chief executive Randy Phillips and executive Paul Gongaware negligently hired and supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, the Las Vegas physician who administered a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol to the singer to help him fight insomnia.

AEG, though, has argued that it was Jackson who hired Murray and that any money the company was supposed to pay the doctor was part of an advance to the singer.

Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's June 2009 death and is serving jail time.

Brian Panish, the lead attorney for Jackson's family, said Judge Yvette Palazuelos' ruling didn't change the heart of the case.

"We're where we were at the beginning of the case." he said. "Everything they've done to stop the jury from deciding the case has failed."

Jody Armour, a professor at USC's Gould School of Law, agreed, because the entertainment giant — which also owns sports teams, arenas and stadiums around the world — has the resources to satisfy nearly any judgment. The company also was contractually bound to pay any judgments against Phillips and Gongaware, who have been among the most important witnesses.

"AEG has been the great white whale all along," Armour said. "If you still have AEG in the suit, then you're feeling pretty good as a plaintiff."

Marvin Putnam, lead attorney for the defendants, issued a statement calling the judge's ruling "a huge victory" for Phillips and Gongaware.

"The Jacksons have besmirched their reputations and dragged their good names through the mud without any basis whatsoever," he said.

In her ruling, the judge wrote that she dismissed the case against Phillips and Gongaware because the evidence showed their dealings with Murray were on behalf of AEG Live. She said "Phillips and Gongaware did not control, direct, or perpetrate any of the activities in [Jackson's] home," where Murray was giving him propofol and the singer was preparing for an ambitious set of concerts in London.

However, she ruled that the Jacksons had presented ample evidence for the jury to decide if AEG was liable.

"Substantial evidence has been presented at trial from which a jury can reasonably infer that defendants knew or should have known that Dr. Murray presented an undue risk of harm" to Jackson, Palazuelos wrote.

The Jacksons called Phillips and Gongaware as witnesses early in the trial, and their credibility came under fire during withering questioning by Panish.

Phillips wrote several emails that have emerged as key evidence.

He received an email a few days before the singer died from Kenny Ortega, the director of the planned 50 concerts in London, saying that Jackson was showing "strong signs of paranoia, anxiety and obsessive-like behavior" and needed psychiatric help.

Phillips replied: "I had a lengthy conversation with Dr. Murray, who I am gaining immense respect for as I get to deal with him more.... This doctor is extremely successful (we check everyone out) and does not need this gig so he [is] totally unbiased and ethical."

But testimony showed that the company did little to investigate Murray. The doctor, who took the unusual step of closing his practice to serve as Jackson's tour physician, was deep in debt and facing foreclosure on his home.

Jurors were also shown a TV interview in which Phillips said "so we hired him," referring to Murray.

Gongaware wrote an email that could be among the most important pieces of evidence in determining who employed Murray.

Eleven days before the singer died, he wrote: "We want to remind him [Murray] that it is AEG, not MJ who is paying his salary. We want him to understand what is expected of him."

Gongaware, who knew Jackson from previous tours, helped negotiate Murray's contract, which was supposed to pay him $150,000 a month. No one connected with Jackson was shown any of the contract's three drafts.

Murray signed the contract the day before Jackson died, the only one who signed the document.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарили (всего 2):
Lina (11 сен 2013, 07:37) • TAIS (11 сен 2013, 06:57)
Рейтинг: 18.18%

Liberian Girl

#889  Сообщение Trueamore » 11 сен 2013, 10:34

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threa ... al-motions

The following are Michael's handwritten notes previously mentioned by Taj Jackson. Currently there's an AEG motion stating that Jacksons want to use these notes during their closing statements and AEG is arguing these notes are hearsay and should not be allowed to be used. Some notes were added as exhibits to the motion.

Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Trueamore поблагодарили (всего 4):
Admin (11 сен 2013, 16:13) • TAIS (11 сен 2013, 13:31) • Dream (11 сен 2013, 12:16) • Lina (11 сен 2013, 11:29)

Trueamore
Благодарил (а): 6693 раз.

#890  Сообщение Lina » 11 сен 2013, 11:30

Trueamore писал(а):http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/130475-Michael-s-handwritten-notes-from-Jackson-AEG-trial-motions

The following are Michael's handwritten notes previously mentioned by Taj Jackson. Currently there's an AEG motion stating that Jacksons want to use these notes during their closing statements and AEG is arguing these notes are hearsay and should not be allowed to be used. Some notes were added as exhibits to the motion.

[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]
[ Изображение ]