Добро пожаловать в Мир Майкла Джексона, Гость!    Регистрация  Или выполнить  Вход       

Все особенные даты и значимые дни календаря Майкла Джексона./All the important dates and significant Michael Jackson's days.

30-я годовщина песни “We Are the World”

30-я годовщина песни “We Are the World”

#1  Сообщение Admin » 26 янв 2015, 18:32

“We Are the World” On Its 30th Anniversary: 5 Things To Know
30 годовщина песни “We Are the World” : 5 фактов, которые нужно знать

Thirty years ago, 45 of the biggest (and most diverse) names in American pop music came together on Jan. 28 to record a song with one purpose: ending famine in Africa.

The song was called “We Are the World” and megastars like Michael Jackson,Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, and many more gathered together to record the track in one legendary night.

“We Are the World” sold over 20 million copies and won numerous awards, including three Grammys – but the most important number is the money it raised: an unprecedented $63 million for humanitarian aid.

In honor of the song’s 30th anniversary, here are five amazing facts about the extraordinary circumstances of its recording:

1. The song wasn’t fully written until the night before recording.

Jackson and Richie – who co-wrote the song – finished the lyrics and melody on the night before their deadline. “I love working quickly,” Jackson later said of the process as quoted in Michael Jackson: The King of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell. “I went ahead without even Lionel knowing, I couldn’t wait. I went in and came out the same night with the song completed – drums, piano, strings, and words to the chorus.”

2. The recording took place the same night as the American Music Awards.

Many of the stars who joined forces to record “We Are the World” were competitors just hours earlier. Lauper, Turner, and Richie were among those who came straight to the studio from the 12th annual AMAs. Richie actually hosted the award show, and Lauper and Turner had both given live performances. Jackson skipped the awards to record the guiding vocals to the song – but still managed to win two AMAs despite his absence.

3. “We Are the World” wasn’t the only song the stars sang that night.

“We Are the World” was the brainchild of activist/entertainer Harry Belafonte. It was Belafonte’s dream to gather a supergroup of his favorite artists to record a song that’s proceeds could be donated entirely to charity. In honor of his efforts, the entire room of stars broke out into an impromptu rendition of Belafonte’s classic hit, “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song.)”

4. Lauper’s jewelry ruined one of the solo takes.

The motto of the evening was “check your ego at the door” – but in Lauper’s case, checking her accessories might have been more helpful. Still, she definitely won outfit of the evening.

The jewelry incident occurs at 2:00

5. No one left without swapping autographs.

“Mass hysteria broke out because everybody wanted everybody else’s autograph,” Richie of one point in the night. “I realized that there was a room of everybody being fans of everyone else.”

As Kenny Rogers remembers, “Everyone wanted a memento that we could all keep ourselves. And we had the sheet music so we had all the other artists sign it. I don’t think there was one out there who didn’t get everyone to sign it.”

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Admin поблагодарили (всего 5):
Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:11) • MagicalLove (27 фев 2015, 14:15) • Liberian Girl (01 фев 2015, 07:12) • Lina (26 янв 2015, 19:15) • franklin5569 (26 янв 2015, 19:13)
Рейтинг: 45.45%

Admin
Автор темы
Благодарил (а): 11977 раз.

Re: 30-я годовщина песни “We Are the World”

#2  Сообщение Admin » 28 янв 2015, 20:05

We Are the World: The Artists Who Were There Share Things You May Not Know
Артисты, которые были на съемках We Are the World, деляться событиями о которых вы не знали

The all-star recording session for We Are the World, the biggest charity single of all time, took place 30 years ago Wednesday.

On Jan. 28, 1985, at A&M Recording Studios in Hollywood, following the American Music Awards, more than 40 artists gathered to record a song Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson had written to raise awareness of widespread, life-threatening poverty in Africa. Most of that show’s winners — including Cyndi Lauper,Hall & Oates, Bruce Springsteen, Huey Lewis, Willie Nelson, Tina Turner, the Pointer Sisters, Kenny Rogers and the Jacksons — participated.

Inspired by the U.K. all-star charity single Do They Know it’s Christmas?, released a few months earlier, We Are the World was released March 7, 1985, and went on to sell more than 20 million copies. The more than $75 million raised by non-profit organization USA for Africa helped to fight poverty on the continent. The song also won three Grammy Awards in 1986, including song and record of the year.

“A great song lasts for eternity,” says Quincy Jones, who produced the track. “I guarantee you that if you travel anywhere on the planet today and start humming the first few bars of that tune, people will immediately know that song.”

Here are 12 things you might not know about the song and the recording session:

Stevie Wonder, not Michael Jackson, originally was supposed to be Richie’s co-writer.

“I was really trying to get in touch with Stevie and couldn’t do it,” Richie says. “Stevie was touring a lot. He was doing a lot of stuff.” A phone call with Jones got him and Jackson involved. “I got Michael before I could get Stevie,” Richie says. “We said, ‘If Stevie calls me back, we’ll get him in. In the meantime, I think we can get it done with Michael.’ ”

Изображение

Richie and Jackson listened to national anthems to get in the proper frame of mind to write.

“We didn’t want a normal-sounding song,” Richie says. “We wanted bombastic, the biggest thing you got.” Knowing they needed to create something that immediately sounded important and had global appeal, they prepped for their songwriting sessions by listening to national anthems from several countries, including the USA, England, Germany and Russia. “We put all that into a pot in our heads and came up with a rhythm that sounded familiar, like a world anthem. We wanted people to feel like it was a familiar song. Once we got that — show business, man.”

The We Are the World recording session caused Richie to forget the American Music Awards.

Maybe it was just sleep deprivation — after all, the session began at 9 p.m. and lasted 12 hours — but Richie claims to have no memory of hosting that night’s American Music Awards ceremony and winning five awards, including favorite pop/rock male artist. “I walked through that door, and I forgot I had done that,” he says. “The group of people in that room was so mind-changing. There’s Bob Dylan, Billy Joel — give me a freaking break. I had never in my life experienced anything like that.”

Изображение

It may have been a massive gathering of celebrities, but few other people knew the session was taking place.

Many of the singers arrived in limousines, having just come from the awards show, but not everybody showed up in style. “I think Bruce Springsteen parked his truck in the parking lot of the Rite-Aid or a grocery store that used to be across the street,” Richie says. “He parked over there and walked in. He didn’t know you could come through the gate.” The logistics of such a session would be exponentially more difficult in the era of cellphone cameras and social media. “Today, you couldn’t keep that a secret,” Richie says. “You’d have to have a full-on runway, and everybody would have to check their phones.”

Изображение

Most of the singers had never heard the song before walking into the studio.

“We did not have MP3s,” Richie says. “We had cassettes back then. We had to send it to you, so most of them had not heard the song.” After all, Richie and Jackson had just barely finished the song in time for the initial tracking session held a week previous at Kenny Rogers’ studio. Even Rogers hadn’t heard it: “We didn’t know what we were going to sing until that night,” he says. Hall & Oates’ John Oates, who sang in the backing choir, says, “It had the anthemic quality and the simplicity of melody that made pulling off a giant ensemble like that very easy to do. And it was a room full of amazing singers, so that wasn’t exactly a problem.”

Изображение

Изображение

The choir roster had its roots in Donna Summer’s State of Independence.

The choir for Summer’s 1982 hit, which Jones produced, included Jackson, Richie, Wonder, James Ingram, Kenny Loggins and Dionne Warwick, all of whom also appeared on We Are the World. “I was on familiar ground,” Jones says. “If I hadn’t worked individually with over half of these singers before, there was no way I would’ve signed on.”

As one of the song’s writers, Richie got dibs on his solo line.

“Quincy said, ‘Now, Lionel, where would you like to come in?’ ” Richie recalls. “I said, ‘Are you kidding me? I’m coming in first, so I can get out of the way!’ ” According to Richie, the session’s secret hero was Jones’ vocal arranger, Tom Bähler. Before the session, he had listened to the recorded output of each of the soloists, determined their vocal ranges, then identified which melodic phrases best suited their registers. “The parts they assigned fit the vocalists really well,” Rogers says. “I couldn’t have done the stuff that was done at the end that Steve Perry did. They were incredibly well-laid-out.”

When Ray Charles spoke, everybody listened.

“Ray Charles, being who he was, commanded a certain deference and respect from everyone, even though he didn’t assert himself in any weird way,” Oates says. “He was just standing in the middle, doing his part. Lionel, Michael and Quincy were running the show. It was their song, their production, and everyone was very respectful, trying to make it happen. There were moments when people — and I will not name names because it’s not worth it — in the chorus started to put their producers’ hats on. They started to say, ‘What if we did this?’ and ‘What if we did that?’ Coming up with ideas. It was obvious it was a complicated thing to pull off in general, and having too many cooks in the stew would be a giant catastrophe. Ray, every once in a while, would just pipe up: ‘C’mon. Hey. Let’s go. Listen to Michael. Let’s get this thing done.’ He was there to sing, and he sensed that it could go south very quickly. He commanded a lot of respect, and I thought that was very cool.”

Bob Dylan was nervous about singing his solo.

In a one-hour behind-the-scenes documentary produced to coincide with the release ofWe Are the World, there’s a surreal scene in which Stevie Wonder sits at the studio piano, imitating Bob Dylan to Bob Dylan to help him get the phrasing for his “There’s a choice we’re making” solo phrase. “Dylan turned to me and Stevie and said, ‘How do you want me to sound?’ Richie recalls. “We were all kind of doing it, and we wanted to make sure we didn’t insult anybody.” Oates, who stood directly behind Dylan while the chorus was recording, remembers him being anxious about singing his solo. “He’s not a melodic guy, and it was a very specific melody,” Oates says. “I think he felt uncomfortable singing that particular melody, and he worked around it in his own way.”

Изображение

Kenny Rogers wanted to get everybody’s autograph.

“Once we sang it all the way through and realized how well-thought-out it was, we realized it was something special,” Rogers says. “So I took a sheet of music from the session and started getting people to sign it. Once I started, Diana Ross started, then everybody was running around trying to get everybody. It’s framed on the wall of my house in Atlanta.” Oates, who also got an autographed chart, echoes Rogers almost word for word: “I have it framed in my studio in Colorado. When people come in and see it, they freak. I made sure I got everybody. I even got Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder to sign it. For once, I had the presence of mind to do something like that, and it’s one of my most treasured possessions.” Jones’ signed sheet music hangs in his den: “It always makes me smile when I look at it and start reading those names.”

Изображение

That “Check your egos at the door” sign turned out not to be necessary.

That’s what Jones says. “Here you had 46 of the biggest recording stars in the entire world in one room, to help people in a far-off place who were in desperate need,” he says. “I don’t think that night, that experience, will ever truly be duplicated again. I know and believe in the power of music to bring people together for the betterment of mankind, and there may be no better example of this than the collective that was We Are the World.”

Изображение

USA for Africa is still around.

Thirty years after We Are the World, USA for Africa still works on behalf of communities in Africa. Recent initiatives have addressed climate-change issues, arts campaigns and the shipment of medical supplies to Liberia and Sierra Leone to combat the spread of ebola. Royalties from We Are the World continue to be the organization’s primary source of funding. “We still earn, but certainly not the kind of money we earned 25 years ago,” says executive director Marcia Thomas, who joined the non-profit in 1986 to work on Hands Across America, another USA for Africa initiative. “Our biggest support in terms of where We Are the World is bought most frequently is not in the U.S. but other parts of the world, primarily Japan and Asia.”

We Are the World soloists, in order of appearance:

• Lionel Richie
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Paul Simon
  • Kenny Rogers
  • James Ingram
  • Tina Turner
  • Billy Joel
  • Michael Jackson
  • Diana Ross
  • Dionne Warwick
  • Willie Nelson
  • Al Jarreau
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Kenny Loggins
  • Steve Perry
  • Daryl Hall
  • Huey Lewis
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Kim Carnes
  • Bob Dylan
  • Ray Charles

These people sang in the chorus: Dan Aykroyd, Harry Belafonte, Lindsey Buckingham,Mario Cipollina, Johnny Colla, Sheila E., Bob Geldof, Bill Gibson, Chris Hayes, Sean Hopper, Jackie Jackson, La Toya Jackson, Marlon Jackson, Randy Jackson, Tito Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Bette Midler, John Oates, Jeffrey Osborne, Anita Pointer, June Pointer, Ruth Pointer and Smokey Robinson.

Изображение

“One of the only things regrettable about this whole 30-year anniversary is that Michael’s not here to share his part of it,” Richie says. “There was a lot of craziness happening with us and a lot of silliness. I’m just sorry he’s not here to share it.”

Изображение

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Admin поблагодарили (всего 6):
Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:12) • MagicalLove (27 фев 2015, 14:16) • Trueamore (07 фев 2015, 00:51) • Liberian Girl (01 фев 2015, 07:12) • franklin5569 (29 янв 2015, 00:55) • Lina (28 янв 2015, 20:49)
Рейтинг: 54.55%

Admin
Автор темы
Благодарил (а): 11977 раз.

#3  Сообщение Liberian Girl » 01 фев 2015, 07:19

ЕЩЕ НЕМНОГО О "WE ARE THE WORLD"

Дата 30-ти летия We Are the World уже прошла и ей было посвящено много постов. Но вроде этого не было ( хотя я могу быть как обычно невнимательна). Прочла несколько дней назад рассказ-статью в которой многие факты нам уже известны о сессии записи, но есть интересные истории, и мне захотелось поделиться. Потому сделала их перевод.
Lyud

По статье Brian Mansfield, USA TODAY 10:11 a.m. EST January 28, 2015

"Отличная песня длится вечность", - говорит Куинси Джонс, который продюсировал трек. - "Я вам гарантирую, что если вы будете путешествовать сегодня в любом месте на планете и начните напевать первые несколько тактов, люди сразу узнают эту песню".

"Мы не хотели, чтобы песня имела обыкновенное звучание" - говорит Лайонел Ричи. - "Мы хотели получить самую претенциозную, великую вещь, насколько это возможно." Зная, что им необходимо создать что-то такое, что сразу должно звучать сильно и иметь глобальный призыв, они подготавливались к написанию своей песни слушая гимны некоторых стран, включая США, Англии, Германии и России. - "Все это мы сложили в наши черепные коробки и придумали ритм, который воспринимался знакомым, как гимны мира. Мы хотели, чтобы людям казалось, что это песня им знакома.".

Сесия We Are the World заставила Ричи забыть даже American Music Awards. Запись была назначена практически сразу после окончания церемонии.
Многие певцы приехали в лимузинах, поскольку прибывали с только что прошедшего шоу награждения, но не все. "Я думаю, что Брюс Спрингстин припарковал свой грузовик где-то на стоянке Rite-Aid или возле продуктового магазина через дорогу," - рассказывает Ричи. - "Он припарковался там и бродил. Он не знал, что нужно пройти через ворота." Техническая часть такой сессии однозначно сложнее в эпоху сотовых телефонов, камер и социальных медиа. "Сегодня ты не сможешь сохранить такое в секрете", - говорит Ричи.

Заседание началось в 9 часов вечера и длилось 12 часов, но Ричи утверждает, что не помнит события самой ночи церемонии вручения American Music Awards где выиграл пять наград, в том числе favorite pop/rock male artist. "Я вошел в ту дверь, и я забыл, что я это сделал", - говорит он. - "Группа людей в той комнате настолько перевернула разум. Тут Боб Дилан, Билли Джоэл - да не морочьте мне долбаную голову! Я никогда в жизни не испытывал ничего подобного".

"У нас не было mp3,"- говорит Ричи. - "У нас были кассеты. Нам пришлось рассылать их, поэтому большинство из участников записи никогда не слышали песню."
Ричи и Джексон только закончили песню прямо перед первой сессией, состоявшейся в Kenny Rogers' studio. Даже сам Роджерс не слышал ее: "Мы не знали, что мы будем петь до той самой ночи", - говорит он.
Hall & Oates' Джон Оутс, который пел в бэк-хоре, говорит: "Песня имела гимнообразное звучание и простую мелодию, что помогло гигантскому ансамблю очень легко записать ее. И это была комната полная потрясающих певцов, так что проблемы точно не было."

По словам Ричи, секретным героем сессии записи был вокальный аранжировщик Джонса Tom Bahler. До сессии он прослушал записи каждого из солистов, определяя их вокальные диапазоны, затем распределив мелодические фразы, наиболее подходящие их регистру. "Части песни, на которые каждый из них был назначен, действительно прекрасно подходят каждому вокалисту," - говорит Роджерс.

"Рэй Чарльз, будучи кем он был, пользуясь всеобщим авторитетом и уважением, командовал всеми, хотя он не пытался самоутвердиться каким либо образом,"- рассказывает Оутс. "Он просто стоял в середине, внося свой вклад. Заправляли всем Лайонел, Майкл и Куинси. Это была их песня, их продюсерство, и все было очень уважительно, все старались, чтобы проект состоялся. Но были моменты, когда люди - и я не буду называть имена, потому что оно того не стоит - в хоре начинали "примерять шляпы" продюсеров. Они начали говорить: " А что если мы сделаем это?' и 'А давайте мы сделаем вот так?' - Придумывать идеи. Было очевидно, что это была итак сложная штука, чтобы вытянуть в целом, но если будет еще и слишком много поваров готовящих рагу, то точно произойдет гигантская катастрофа. И каждый раз в такие минуты Рэй громогласно произносил: 'C'Mon.(Камон!) Эй. Поехали. Слушайте Майкла. Давайте сделаем эту вещь.' Он был там, чтобы петь, и он чувствовал, что всё это может развалиться очень быстро. Он командовал с большим уважением, и я подумал, что это очень круто".

В одночасовом документальном фильме о том что происходило "за кадром", совпавшем с релизом We Are the World, есть сюрреалистические сцены, в которых Стиви Уандер сидит в студии за фортепиано с Боб Диланом подражая Боб Дилану, помогая ему сформулировать его сольную фразу "There's a choice we're making". "Дилан повернулся ко мне и Стиви и сказал:" Как вы хотите, чтобы я звучал?' - рассказывает Ричи . Оутс, который стоял прямо позади Дилана, в то время как записывался хор, вспоминает, что Дилан очень беспокоился как петь свое соло. "Он явно не мелодичный парень, а это была очень конкретная мелодия," - вспоминает Оутс.- "Я думаю, что он чувствовал себя неловко исполняя мелодию, но он работал, и спел ее по-своему."

Изображение

"После того, как мы спели и поняли, насколько хорошо все было продуманно, мы осознали, что мы создали что-то особенное," - говорит Роджерс. - "Поэтому я взял нотный лист сессии и стал просить людей расписаться на нем. Как только я начал это делать, Дайана Росс тоже начала, а потом просто все бегали вокруг, пытаясь получить автографы всех. Этот лист в рамке на стене моего дома в Атланте." Оутс, который также получил автографы, вторит Роджерсу почти слово в слово: "Я повесил его в рамку в моей студии в Колорадо. Когда люди приходят и видят его, у них сносит крышу. Я уверен, что я поймал всех. Я даже получил автографы Рэя Чарльза и Стиви Уандера. В тот раз я набрался духа, чтобы сделать что-то подобное, и это одна из самых ценных моих вещей." “Вспыхнула массовая истерия, потому что каждый хотел получить автограф каждого,” -говорит Ричи. - “Я понял, что комната была наполнена людьми, которые являлись фанатами друг друга.” У Джонсона подписанные ноты висят в его кабинете: "Это всегда вызывает у меня улыбку, когда я смотрю на них и начинаю читать эти имена."

Через тридцать лет после выхода We Are the World, USA for Africa по-прежнему работает от имени объединения в Африке. Недавние проекты затронули вопросы изменения климата, сферу искусства, а также поставки медикаментов для Либерии и Сьерра-Леоне для борьбы с распространением лихорадки Эбола. Роялти от We Are the World по прежнему являются основным источником финансирования организации. "Мы по-прежнему зарабатываем, но, конечно, не те деньги, что мы заработали 25 лет назад", - говорит исполнительный директор Марсия Томас, которая присоединилась к некоммерческой организации в 1986 году. "Наша самая большая поддержка в этом плане приходит из мест, где We Are the World покупается чаще всего в мире, и это не США, а другие части мира, в первую очередь Япония и Азия".

Солисты We Are the World в порядке их появления в видео:

Lionel Richie
Stevie Wonder
Paul Simon
Kenny Rogers
James Ingram
Tina Turner
Billy Joel
Michael Jackson
Diana Ross
Dionne Warwick
Willie Nelson
Al Jarreau
Bruce Springsteen
Kenny Loggins
Steve Perry
Daryl Hall
Huey Lewis
Cyndi Lauper
Kim Carnes
Bob Dylan
Ray Charles

Эти люди пели в хоре:

Dan Aykroyd, Harry Belafonte, Lindsey Buckingham, Mario Cipollina, Johnny Colla, Sheila E., Bob Geldof, Bill Gibson, Chris Hayes, Sean Hopper, Джеки Джексон, Ла Тойя Джексон, Марлон Джексон, Рэнди Джексон, Тито Джексон, Waylon Jennings, Bette Midler, John Oates, Jeffrey Osborne, Anita Pointer, June Pointer, Ruth Pointer и Smokey Robinson.

"Одной единственной вещью, о которой я сожалею весь 30-летний юбилей - это то, что Майкл не здесь, чтобы поделиться его частью истории," - говорит Ричи. - "Там с нами происходило много сумасшедшего и много приколов. Мне жаль, что его нет здесь, чтобы поделиться."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ниже упомянутый фильм We are the World - The Story Behind the Song. Хотя он уже давно был "растаскан" на фрагменты, но мало ли, может целиком кто-то и не видел..( Качество очень хорошее - перейти на 720)

Я готова верить, но надо знать во что!

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Liberian Girl поблагодарили (всего 7):
Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:14) • MagicalLove (27 фев 2015, 14:16) • Admin (02 фев 2015, 23:39) • Dream (02 фев 2015, 18:18) • Lina (01 фев 2015, 14:53) • franklin5569 (01 фев 2015, 08:29) • TMJ (01 фев 2015, 08:16)
Рейтинг: 63.64%

Liberian Girl
Благодарил (а): 2485 раз.

#4  Сообщение MagicalLove » 27 фев 2015, 14:19

Iowa drummer reflects on 30 years of ‘We are the World’ / Барабанщик Iowa вспоминает ‘We are the World’ в 30-летнюю годовщину

By Suzanne Teresa / Special to the Register / John Robinson

Thirty years ago this week, the single “We Are the World” hit stores and airwaves. The song united the biggest music acts of the day to fight famine in Africa. It sold more than 10 million copies, raising more than $60 million for charity.
Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie handled the words and music and legendary producer Quincy Jones headed up the project. But the rhythm came from Iowa.

Creston native John Robinson was the drummer on “We Are the World.” The Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has dubbed Robinson “the most recorded drummer in history.” He’s drummed on albums by Jackson, Richie, Daft Punk, the Pointer Sisters, Madonna, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty and been the touring drummer for Barbra Streisand.

The song featured Stevie Wonder, Kenny Rogers, Paul Simon, Ray Charles, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen and many others. Robinson had been drumming for Jones since 1979. He wasn’t there for the big group recording, but Robinson did get to be on hand during the song’s composition.

“We got in there maybe mid-afternoon and got the drum sounds, along with keyboards and bass, then basically paused while Lionel and Michael worked on the arrangement around the piano,” Robinson said during a phone interview from his home in California.

“There were just too many media people in the room. People were snapping away with photos and it was distracting. Quincy gave me a look that said, ‘Let’s get this show on the road.’ I understood he wanted me to lay the hammer down, so I basically yelled for everyone to get the hell out.”

Robinson got his start in music playing piano. His father was a violinist and also arranged for the Creston Chorus. Robinson described himself as “not the greatest learner” on piano, but he had a strong interest in the big band records his mom was playing for him. In particular, the way the drums drove the sound of swing and big band appealed to Robinson. Around age 8, he got a Ludwig drum set and by 10 he had his first gig. In 1969, his high school band won the Mid American Jazz Festival in Omaha. In 1973, he left Iowa to pursue a career in music.

Robinson didn’t have any idea the kind of lasting impact “We Are the World” would have. There really wasn’t much precedent for a gathering of this much talent on one song. Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” had come out in December 1984, but “We Are the World” took the idea to an entirely different level, uniting musicians from different genres across generations.

Robinson said Jones did ask if the drummer wanted to be a part of the chorus for the song, which included Dan Aykroyd, Harry Belafonte, Bette Midler and Smokey Robinson. Robinson said he considered it, having also been an all-state singer in Iowa, but ultimately he passed.

“I don’t know if I just didn’t want to be in that circus,” Robinson said. “I could have been; there were some non-singers in there.”

Reaching out to potential musicians, Jones included a tape of Richie and Jackson’s initial work, imploring that it not be shared. To stress the importance of the mission of “We Are the World,” he included this line: “In the years to come, when your children ask, ‘What did mommy and daddy do for the war against world famine?’ you can say proudly,this was your contribution.”

Robinson doesn’t want to claim too much credit for his contribution.

“I’ve never wanted to be like ‘Oh, I contributed, I was a big deal,’ ” Robinson said. “In reality, it’s just what we do. I don’t know if we can ever cure famine, but any sort of taking a chunk out of it is well worth it.”

Robinson has stayed involved with charitable music events. For almost 20 years, he has performed with David Foster at Muhammad Ali’s Celebrity Fight Night, raising money to fight Parkinson’s disease.

Read More: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /24059649/

Source: desmoinesregister / Suzanne Teresa / Special to the Register / John Robinson / MJ-UPBEAT.COM

Изображение
Изображение

you are in my heart forever icon_colorfulherats

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора MagicalLove поблагодарили (всего 6):
Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:22) • Trueamore (28 фев 2015, 02:05) • Admin (28 фев 2015, 00:12) • Lina (27 фев 2015, 19:56) • Liberian Girl (27 фев 2015, 16:26) • franklin5569 (27 фев 2015, 16:17)

MagicalLove
Прогресс до нового звания:
69.9%
Благодарил (а): 3518 раз.

#5  Сообщение MagicalLove » 07 мар 2015, 13:11

March 7th, “We Are The World” Turns 30! / 7 марта исполняется 30 лет песне “We Are The World”

by FORBES / Hugh McIntyre

Tomorrow marks thirty years since the biggest names in the music industry came together to do something selfless for those who needed help the most, and since the industry changed for good because of it.

Three decades ago, “We Are The World” was released, and the money hasn’t stopped pouring in ever since. Organized by longtime entertainer and dedicated philanthropist Harry Belafonte, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie were tasked with writing the track, while producers Quincy Jones and Michael Omartian helped arrange and took care of the music. Everyone reached out to plenty of famous friends, and the supergroup to beat all supergroups, USA For Africa, was born.

In the thirty years since “We Are The World” hit stores and began selling faster than anything in history, the money raised by the song (and its accompanying album, though the single was the main cash cow) is incredible. Several years ago the total was estimated at over $60 million, but it has likely gone up since then. While stores couldn’t keep the title stocked, a lot of that money came from merchandise, which fans and those looking to lend a helping hand also snapped up in droves.

The song wasn’t necessarily adored by critics, but the intention was, and the track was just too big to ignore. “We Are The World” went on to be the best-selling single of the 1980’s, and it won four Grammys, including Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, and Best Music Video, Short Form.

The list of legendary artists that are credited on “We Are The World” is a staggering one, including Kim Carnes, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates), James Ingram, Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau, Billy Joel, Cydni Lauper, Huey Lewis, Kenny Loggins, Willie Nelson, Steve Perry (of Journey fame), Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, and Stevie Wonder…and those are just the artists that had identifiable solos in the song.

The register of those who were on the chorus is just as long, and features plenty of distinguished artists, such as Smokey Robinson, The Pointer Sisters, Bette Middler, and several other members of the Jackson clan. With such an incredible lineup, there was no way that single wasn’t going to be a success, charity or no.

Read More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyr ... urns-30/2/
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора MagicalLove поблагодарили (всего 5):
Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:03) • franklin5569 (07 мар 2015, 19:23) • Liberian Girl (07 мар 2015, 17:18) • Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:22) • Lina (07 мар 2015, 14:38)

MagicalLove
69.9%

#6  Сообщение MagicalLove » 07 мар 2015, 13:14

‘We Are the World’: A Minute-by-Minute Breakdown on Its 30th Anniversary

by Rolling Stone / GAVIN EDWARDS

“Check your egos at the door” read the sign on the front door of A&M Studios in Los Angeles on the night of January 28th, 1985. Producer Quincy Jones had placed it there because dozens of the nation’s biggest singers were walking through that door, and he had exactly one night to cut a record that would save lives by raising money to help alleviate a famine in Ethiopia.

The result, USA for Africa’s “We Are the World,” was released 30 years ago, on March 7th, 1985. The 46 vocalists who showed up may have formed the ultimate musical supergroup of all time, and the mission was serious, but the vibe was loose. As Jones told the collected singers that night, “We do proms too, babes.”

0:18 A graphic where various stars appear to be autographing their names in colored ink. Diana Ross and Anita Baker have the most prominent signatures; with a giant stylized O, John Oates has the most distinctive. Stevie Wonder signs with a fingerprint, but Ray Charles has remarkably neat handwriting. Lindsey Buckingham claims the prime real estate underneath the USA for Africa logo, which is about as prominent as he will get in this video.

0:26 Lionel Richie, cowriter of “We Are the World” with Michael Jackson, kicks things off, assigning himself the opening vocal so he can be done and get out of the way. Richie was on top of the world in 1985: he was coming off the multiplatinum Can’t Slow Down, and would hit the top of the singles charts one last time later in the year with “Say You, Say Me.” Earlier on this evening, Richie had hosted the American Music Awards, where Prince’s Purple Rain beat out Michael Jackson’s Thriller in the category of favorite pop/rock album. The “We Are the World” session was scheduled the same night as the AMAs because many of the major stars would be in Los Angeles for the show.

Last year, Richie remembered the craziness of hosting both the show and the sessions on the same night: “I’m coming off of tour, I’m reviewing a script this thick, I’m trying to organize this thing, who do we get to show up?”

0:31 Stevie Wonder steps up to the microphone to harmonize with Richie. During rehearsals, Wonder flubbed a note, and Richie joshed him, “Stevie messed up? Is that legal?” They decided to blame it on his alter ego, Eivets Rednow. No longer the unstoppable commercial powerhouse he was in the Seventies, Wonder was still a force on the charts in 1985: “Part-Time Lover” would hit Number One later in the year. Wonder was originally supposed to be Richie’s cowriter, but Quincy Jones knew Wonder was busy making an album (In Square Circle), so he suggested Michael Jackson instead. According to Richie, during a break from recording, when Ray Charles asked where the bathroom, Wonder said, “I’ll show you where it is, Ray. Follow me!” Wonder took Charles by the hand and led him down the hall to the appropriate door, while the other stars watched gobsmacked at the blind literally leading the blind.

0:41 Paul Simon takes over on “oh, it’s time to lend a hand,” clutching the sheet music. With his jacket and his plaid shirt, he’s setting the fashion template for Rivers Cuomo’s entire career. In 1985, Simon hadn’t had a hit in years; it looked like he might not have much left in the tank other than perpetual cameo appearances on Saturday Night Live. The following year, however, he released the career-defining Graceland.

Lionel Richie, Daryl Hall, Quincy Jones, Paul Simon and Stevie Wonder recording ‘We Are the World.’ AP
0:53 Richie’s hand extends into the frame, cueing Kenny Rogers, who’s wearing a USA for Africa sweatshirt like he’s a particularly big fan of the group. (Other stars sporting the shirt include Al Jarreau and, for some of the night, Diana Ross.) Rogers was as big a pop-country star as there was in 1985 (but not yet a roasted-chicken maven); he was also a client of manager Ken Kragen, who handled Lionel Richie and was the driving force in recruiting talent for the session. Kragen says that USA for Africa was spurred by Harry Belafonte calling him up just before Christmas, wanting to do a benefit concert. It became a recording session instead, following in the mode of Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” which had hit the charts weeks earlier — but Kragen had less than a month to set up everything before the AMAs. He hit the phones, determined to book two major artists every day — according to Kragen, the turning point was when he convinced Jon Landau that Bruce Springsteen should show up.

0:59 James Ingram has shown up for the session in a shiny silver tracksuit, as if he came directly from a workout on the space shuttle. Ingram had a Number One single (“Baby, Come to Me”) two years prior, but just as importantly, he was well-connected to both Jackson and Jones, having cowritten the hit single “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)” with Jones for Jackson’s Thriller.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... z3TdSyrJJm
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:03) • franklin5569 (07 мар 2015, 19:23) • Liberian Girl (07 мар 2015, 17:17) • Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:22) • Lina (07 мар 2015, 14:37)

MagicalLove
69.9%

#7  Сообщение MagicalLove » 07 мар 2015, 13:19

Richie On Chaos Producing ‘We Are The World’ (VIDEO) / Риччи о хаосе, царившем во время создания‘We Are The World’ (ВИДЕО)

In 1985, producer Quincy Jones gave Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson the assignment of a lifetime. To help fight famine in Africa, he wanted them to write a song for the most famous artists in the music industry to sing together. On his upcoming “Oprah’s Master Class” interview, Richie reflects on creating the song that would become an anthem heard worldwide.

“Quincy walks in the door and says, ‘I need the song now,‘” Richie says. “And a day later, we had the bones for ‘We Are the World.’”

Now, it was just a matter or recruiting the talent. “Back then you couldn’t email it,” he says. “You had to put it on a cassette and send it to people. So we had people agreeing to be involved with a song they haven’t heard yet.”

The historic recording brought together an unprecedented number of artists, including Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan and Cyndi Lauper.

“And of course, what [the song] did do was beyond our wildest imagination,” Richie says. “We became a country unto itself. We became the world.”

ЗДЕСЬ ВИДЕО
Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:03) • franklin5569 (07 мар 2015, 19:23) • Liberian Girl (07 мар 2015, 17:17) • Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:23) • Lina (07 мар 2015, 14:35)

MagicalLove
69.9%

#8  Сообщение MagicalLove » 07 мар 2015, 13:22

Video | Bob Dylan Rehearses We Are The World / Видео | Боб Дилан репетирует We Are The World

In 1985 Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie penned a song called “We Are The World” to raise funds for African Famine Relief. When it came time to record the song, Jackson and Richie recruited some of the biggest names in music at the time to add their stamp to the tune. Those participating included Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder and Bob Dylan.

“We Are The World” went on to become a huge commercial smash across the world. This morning we came upon an interesting clip showing Dylan rehearsing and laying down his distinctive segment of the song. Take a look…

Source: jambase / MJ-Upbeat.com

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора MagicalLove поблагодарили (всего 6):
Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:03) • Trueamore (08 мар 2015, 23:10) • franklin5569 (07 мар 2015, 19:23) • Liberian Girl (07 мар 2015, 17:17) • Нэт (07 мар 2015, 16:24) • Lina (07 мар 2015, 14:35)

MagicalLove
69.9%

#9  Сообщение Король » 07 мар 2015, 18:49

Мдаа, время летит нещадно..30 лет уже этому невероятному хиту.
Можно себе представить, как горд Майкл, что до сих пор песню слушают и любят.
Не только эту, разумеется, но в частности об этой речь.

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора Король поблагодарили (всего 4):
Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:04) • Lina (07 мар 2015, 22:49) • MagicalLove (07 мар 2015, 20:12) • franklin5569 (07 мар 2015, 19:22)
Рейтинг: 36.36%

Король
65%
Благодарил (а): 19 раз.

#10  Сообщение MagicalLove » 10 мар 2015, 21:00

Bette Midler Reminisces About MJ & “We Are the World” / Бэтти Мидлер вспоминает об МД и “We Are the World”

Reposted From: ALY SEMIGRAN / In Style by MJ-Upbeat.com
The one and only Bette Midler visited Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Monday and the legendary entertainer chatted about, among other things, her first tour in nearly a decade, what it was like performing in Las Vegas during the economic crash, and recording “We Are the World.”

Midler, who said that appearing on “We Are the World” (which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year) was a “fascinating” experience, also turned out to be sort of a humbling one for the star. The singer/actress said that while she was originally put next to fellow icon Bruce Springsteen, once Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones showed up, she was moved near the arguably less iconic LaToya Jackson.

Still, Midler has a good sense of humor about the whole thing now, and even joked that “I’m thrilled to see that I actually met Michael Jackson” after host Jimmy Kimmel showed her an older photograph of her, Jackson, Cher, David Bowie, and Kim Wilde. When asked to recall what exactly was going on in said photo, Midler put it bluntly: “I don’t have an effing clue.” If her upcoming tour is even half as entertaining as her talk show appearances, fans will be in for a treat.

Link: http://news.instyle.com/2015/03/10/bett ... the-world/

Source: In Style / ALY SEMIGRAN

Reposted by MJ-Upbeat.com

Изображение

Показать ссылки поста

За это сообщение автора MagicalLove поблагодарили (всего 3):
Admin (10 мар 2015, 23:04) • franklin5569 (10 мар 2015, 21:17) • Lina (10 мар 2015, 21:15)
Рейтинг: 27.27%

MagicalLove
69.9%

Facebook

Вернуться в ДАТЫ / DATES